FILM GUIDE: SICK AROUND AMERICA
VITAL ISSUES: 2015
SICK AROUND AMERICA: FILM GUIDE
1. How does the two examples of “million dollar babies” illustrate the problems with
the U.S. health care system?
2. Why is the fact that Kaiser had no recourse to the huge increase in their insurance
3. How does the case of Paul Stevens illustrate the problems of underwriting that prevent
many people from getting health insurance?
4. What is the number of people that the Harvard study estimates go bankrupt each year?
5. In your opinion should people such as Mr. Stevens be forced to declare bankruptcy in
order to pay for medical care? ***
6. Ultimately what does the practice of underwriting do for the insurance companies?
7. Compare underwriting to education: What would happen if the educational
community could do the same thing with education for people?***
8. How does the case of Matt demonstrate how the choices people must make in order to
gain or keep health insurance in the United States?
9. How can the issues discussed in previous question impact the U.S.?
10. What are some of the problems with consumer-driven insurance products?
11. How does the practice of rescission work?
12. What is the major problem with “guarantee issue”?
13. According to many experts, what has to occur before “guarantee issue” would work?
14. What major problem does the story of Nikki White illustrate?
15. According to the government how many people die each year because they can’t get
16. What has been learned from the Massachusetts’ experiment with health care reform?
17. What is the issue with administrative costs in the increase of health care costs?
18. What are other costs that could be contained in an effort to control health care costs?
19. In the final analysis, why is health care reform so difficult in the United States? ***